Top Ten Tips For Creating a Killer LinkedIn Profile
If you are even vaguely interested in progressing your career or if you are in any way external or client facing you really do need to have a proper LinkedIn profile. Increasingly business professionals will look at your profile before they meet you to get a sense of your background and connections. Recruiters and hiring managers spend hours on LinkedIn researching candidates and it is increasingly becoming the only candidate resource for a lot of headhunters.
- Use a professional headshot as your profile picture
- Spend time crafting your summary and your title – the key words are what will make you appear in searches
- List your skills in the summary at the top
- Make all content appropriate for your future hiring manager to read, this isn’t Facebook
- Ensure companies and dates match your actual resume you are sending out
- Detail achievements and responsibilities as well as companies and titles
- Make sure your contact details are up to date
- Build up your network of contacts with relevant professional people, join relevant groups for the industry that you are in or want to be in
- Ask contacts for recommendations and endorsements
- Be selective about who you accept invitations to connect from and remember you can disconnect if you change your mind later
Don’t be too concerned about whether you should be upgrading your LinkedIn account to a subscription/fee paying account. If you use it properly, you should be able to achieve all the same results without spending a dollar.